Monday, March 13, 2023

Books I enjoyed this week 6-12 March 2023

This week was a light reading week because we had a lot of family things happening. I did finish a few more books in the various cozy mystery series I'm reading, and I started a new one!


Sprinkle with Murder and Buttercream Bump Off

The Cupcake Bakery Mystery series by Jenn McKinlay is set in Scottsdale, Arizona, my home town. I was a little worried when I learned that, but the author clearly knows the Phoenix valley area and culture very well. She made several references that only someone who's lived in the valley for many years would know, and I didn't pick up on any errors, which was a relief. I don't want to lose faith in a story just because an author doesn't know the area (says the author who wrote a story set in a part of England to which she's never been). These cozy mysteries are on the shorter side, but they are just as fun as the other series I love and don't feel rushed or abridged. I really liked the first two, Sprinkle with Murder and Buttercream Bump Off, and I will be continuing the series.


The Apprentices

The Apprentices by Maile Meloy is the second book in the series The Apothecary. I actually wasn't going to continue the series but forgot when I checked out this book. This book did not hold my interest as well as the first. If you like the fantastical elements in the first book, then this books is for you. It really took off with those. I don't know what my problem is with these books, and I do legitimately recommend them. I apologize if that's confusing. LOL


That's it for this week, besides the other series through which I'm still journeying. I'm getting antsy to talk to you about a book I'm reading with my 13-year-old, but I will be brave and save it for when we're finished. Are there any books that you just couldn't wait to talk about while you were reading them?


If you'd like to see everything I'm reading, you can find me on Goodreads at https://www.goodreads.com/ktlasers

No comments:

Post a Comment