Thursday, January 5, 2023

Favorite Books of 2022

I read over 200 books every year, but only a few of those make my favorites list. So you know I must really love a book to give it such a distinction. Out of the 282 books I read last year, only five made the list.


Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury instantly became one of my all-time favorites when I first read it in high school. I've read it at least five times; I lost count somewhere. It's been at least 15 years if not over two decades since I last read it. This year I listened to the audiobook for the first time. It took me a while to get into it, which seemed strange, since I knew it was a favorite. However, when my brain finally engaged with the book, I loved it even more than I remembered. I got a lot more out of it. I don't know if I processed it differently because it was an audiobook, or if age and maturity lent a new perspective, probably the latter, maybe both. It's been three decades since I first read it. I remember being fascinated in the 1990s that so much of the book had already become reality, and it continues to become closer and closer.

There are many reasons to read Fahrenheit 451, like warnings about the potential effects of technology on our brains and the risks of banning free thought. However, I read it for the humanity. I love the relationships and the revelations the characters experience. I love that it carries a message of hope. Most of all, I love that it's a love story about books and reading. It's not a terribly long book, and it always reads particularly quickly for me. I really recommend it to everyone because it's such a unique book that appeals to a variety of genres.


If We Were Villains

If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio was on my list for a while. I don't know why I put off reading it, but it became the perfect book for a Spooky Book Bingo challenge I completed in October - I needed a book with a skull on the cover. It wasn't a particularly spooky book - the skull was a Shakespeare reference, but it had major academia vibes, so it was a perfect autumn read.

I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't guess the ending. I really had no idea what was going on for the entire book, but in the best way. I loved the humor and the Shakespeare references and quotes all throughout. I was a music and academics kid in high school, so I related to the school culture. I enjoyed that ability to relate, but I don't think it's essential to enjoy the book. It's not a short book, but it's not at all what you expect, and it pulls you right through. I highly recommend it for any season.


Pumpkinheads

I stretched myself trying Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell, illustrated by Faith Erin Hicks. I do not like graphic novels, but this came so highly recommended on BookTube that I gave it a go. It was excellent, and I will read it again. I am going to buy it for my home library as soon as the bookstores get it back in stock! Not only was it very funny, there was LGBT+ representation, and the autumn ambience was *chef’s kiss*. I must know where I can find a pumpkin patch like that!


Not the Witch You Wed

I had a good feeling I'd like Not the Witch You Wed by April Asher, but I had no idea it would be one of my favorite books ever. I love the natural presence of the magical society. The jokes are great. The young people are fighting for a better way. There’s so much to love about this book. Fair warning, there is language, though well-used, and graphic sex. However, I absolutely loved this book!


The Nine Lives of Christmas

The Nine Lives of Christmas by Sheila Roberts was a complete surprise. I was looking for available holiday or Christmas books on the library website. This looked cute and cozy, so I checked it out. Oh my gosh I loved it. What a treasure I unearthed! The story is told by the three main characters, one of whom is a cat. AND IT IS SO WELL DONE.

Looking forward to 2023

Every year I look forward to continuing consuming books like oxygen. Reading is my favorite way to occupy my brain. While my TBR (to-be read list) grows far faster than I could possibly every finish it, I still look for recommendations every chance I get. What were your favorite books of 2022? What are your all-time favorites? I really do want to know!

To see what I'm reading, visit my Goodreads profile:

https://www.goodreads.com/ktlasers

No comments:

Post a Comment