Sunday, January 22, 2023

Books I enjoyed this week 15-21 January 2023


Dead Men Don't Crochet

Dead Men Don't Crochet from the Crochet Mystery Series by Betty Hechtman is the second book in the series. I read the first book last week. I love the bickering and pettiness in these stories. They're fun and light cozy mysteries.


A Needlecraft Mystery Series

This week I read A Stitch in Time (#3), Unraveled Sleeve (#4), A Murderous Yarn (#5), and Hanging by a Thread (#6) from A Needlecraft Mystery Series by Monica Ferris. I'm really enjoying the humor and banter in these books. I admit the language isn't always the most conscientious, and the main character can be ignorant and annoying at times. However, I really am into this series now. If you like cozy mysteries and discussion of needle crafts, you'll like this series.


Of Books and Bagpipes and A Christmas Tartan

Of Books and Bagpipes by Paige Shelton is the second book in the Scottish Bookshop Mystery Series. I'd somehow completely forgotten about starting this series in the autumn, but thankfully the author put a note in her Christmas book that it takes place after the second book in the series, so I quickly checked it out to read before reading A Christmas Tartan: A Scottish Bookshop Mini-Mystery (#2.5). I forgot how much I'd enjoyed the first book until I got into the second one. I've also been to Edinburgh since reading the first one, and I love being better able to visualize the setting. While yes, these contain violent crimes, the topic is handled gently, and these books are definitely cozy mysteries.


Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics

Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics by bell hooks is one that's been on my list for a while, and I finally got my backside in gear and read it. I listened to the audiobook while I followed along in and highlighted the ebook. Overall, this book is fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone. There is great discussion about most of the varied facets of feminism, such as class and race. My only complaints were a strong emphasis on the gender binary and a complete lack of inclusion of trans people of any gender. Had this book been written before 2000, I could maybe see it, and I recognize that the 2000s were kind of a gray area for these things, but I expect it would’ve come up in the decades of work the author did in this topic. I wonder if it was deliberately omitted to make the book more palatable for a wide audience, but I hope not. It was a quick read full of hearty content and written for the masses, not just academia. This book is a gift of knowledge from an intelligent and passionate activist.


Small Town, Big Magic

Small Town, Big Magic (Witchlore #1) by Hazel Beck was just released this past August. I saved it for New Years because the cover felt very New Yearsy to me. That's a good reason, right? It has nothing to do with New Years, to be clear. I didn't know what to expect from this book, so it was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed the witchy politics in it, and the romance was fun (and not graphic). The ending was a little saccharine, but overall I enjoyed it, and I don't want to wait over half a year for the sequel!


The Stone of Kuromori

My 13-year-old and I finished The Stone of Kuromori by Jason Rohan, the third and final book in the Sword of Kuromori series. This series was really fun, and we learned a lot about Japanese mythology and folklore. The books did not shy away from the topic of death, and there was a lot of humor throughout. We enjoyed it a lot.


What books did you read this week?


If you'd like to see everything I'm reading, you can find me on Goodreads at https://www.goodreads.com/ktlasers

No comments:

Post a Comment