Random Bible Verse

Food for the Moment
New Bible Verses

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Review: Busy Mom's Bible


A while back I teased you with news of an upcoming review of the Busy Mom's Bible.  Well, I got distracted and left you hanging.  Tonight I finally sat myself down and punched out a short-but-sweet review here.

I have three complaints about the Busy Mom's Bible:
  • Pronouns for God aren't capitalized.
  • Studies are more like "read this verse and think about it" than arranged studies, but I'm biased because I've been doing more in-depth studies for years.
  • There aren't enough time out lessons!  :o)
The translation is the New International Version (NIV), which basically means it's reputable and easy to read.  I used to believe it was cheating to read a Bible without all the thees and thous.  (I have since learned I wasn't alone in that belief.)  I have an NIV study Bible (thank you, Crystal!) that I've been using for years, and I've grown fond of the translation.  My favorite translations are the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) for all the thees and thous (I do love the poetry of that language), the American Standard Version (ASV) and the English Standard Version (ESV).  The latter two are purer translations.  Nevertheless, the NIV is a solid Bible.

All that said, I am so blessed to have this Bible in my life! In case you haven't noticed, God uses this Bible to teach me some very valuable lessons. I don't pick it up nearly as often as I should, but I never read a lesson without God taking a large hand upside my head, figuratively speaking, of course.  The lessons speak to me on a very personal level.  I also love the takeaway word or phrase on which I can meditate the rest of the day (or week!).

I highly recommend this Bible for any busy woman, mother or not.

If you'd like to read another review of the Busy Mom's Bible, please visit Jen's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment